GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtka Beach BMW View Post
From my BMW client advisor who I trust and have purchased a number of BMWs from over the years:

there has just been a Technical Service Bulletin ... It states that there will be a software fix available sometime in November. So it sounds like there is a fix to solve the problem coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
I think I read it somewhere the software update is on Nov 11th, which is to enable operating the system without touchscreen.
Yup, here's part of the message from a dealer on another site who seems to have much more specific & detailed information:
Impacted models:
  • G20 3 Series
  • G22/G23 4 Series Coupe and Convertible
  • G26 4 Series Gran Coupe (excluding i4)
  • G29 Z4
  • G05/G06/G07 (all variants)
With the inclusion of Option Code 6UY:
  • Touch functionality will not be present in the aforementioned vehicles
  • Other functionalities of the infotainment system (including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto) remain unaffected and can be used via the iDrive Controller and/or voice control
  • Additionally, vehicles with Parking Assistant Package (5DN/ZPK) will lose Backup Assistant when coupled with 6UY
  • These vehicles will have Option Code ZUY included in the build and Monroney labels to indicate “Deletion of Backup Assistant”
Vehicles with Option Code 6UY are expected to begin shipping this week from Plant Spartanburg, with overseas production to follow next week. All vehicles produced with this option will require a software update prior to retail and customer delivery as they will be shipped and wholesaled with a Retail Stop Sale. The software update will be available as of November 11.

With the software update forthcoming, we felt it was best to deliver the vehicles as they are built to expedite the resolution process.
The software update isn't a "fix", rather it's to delete UI functionality that requires and/or refers to the touchscreen.

The software update likely wasn't a big lift for BMW as they were already working on an iDrive 8 "genius option" to disable the touchscreen (for example, for people who don't want kids / passengers being able to use the touchscreen.)
Another genius "option": the new dashboard will be available with the touch screen function disabled. Will be seen first in the 2023 G42.

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-02-2021 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0