View Single Post
      10-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Joe I’m like you. Lots of miles in GL/S. Loved them too. What ultimately took me to the vehicle time and again was the best third row in a non American extended SUV. And then I was pleasantly surprised by the utility and the driving dynamics. I’ve driven em all and the GLS is the best all arounder. I could give you 10-15 reasons why I prefer it to the Navigator. Escalade, Yukon, q7, RR...

I’ve seen a couple GLS new gen here and there. In base trim it’s atrocious. But like the new GLE throw the right 21” rim or greater on there and it’s a completely different vehicle. What can’t be elevated that much, from what I can tell. is the interior from base to 580 spec. It’s not as luxe as the x7, especially given the no sun roof third row that looks to me to be no larger or better equipped than the last gen. The third row to me is a major disappointment to me coming from Benz who has revolutionized packaging in this niche. The utility/footprint ratio of these vehicles crushes the field. Less so now with x7.

So summary: I expect the 580 with 23s to look absolutely fantastic in the flesh. I expect it to drive better than the x7 when pushed hard. Last gen with active curve and 21” all season rubber was as fun to drive for me as my e63 was. I kid you not. I pushed it absurdly hard. I expect Benz to have achieve the same or better this go around, even without the 9k Dr Dre suspension.

I expect the interior to be a let down vs the x7. And I expect the “regal” presence element of the vehicle to be inferior to the x7. But the x7 to me presents much better in the flesh and in real life ownership than it does in pics and in reviews from people who don’t fully appreciate this class of vehicle. Thus I want to see to judge for myself if what I expect proves accurate
Appreciate 0