Thread: Road bikes?
View Single Post
      08-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #30
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Couple tips:

Since you are over ~185lbs (Me too) depending on the bike you get you're definitely going to want to stay away from low spoke count wheels.

I had a set of wheels built for me when I got my CR1 a couple months back. Velocity Deep Vs (recommended for people over 220lbs) laced to some 32hole Ultegra hubs. Pretty much as bomb proof as you can get in a road wheel. Also ditch the 23mm tires for some 25mm or 28mm tires so that you can run lower pressures. This will also help minimize pinch flats + make your ride lots more comfortable. If you can't afford a full set, maybe just look at getting a rear wheel built up.

Invest in some good riding clothes. If you are going to go "crazy cardio" you'll want to get some cycling shorts/jerseys, etc. Forget about looking goofy, these clothes are designed the way they are for a reason and will wick moisture away from your body/pad the areas that need to be padded, etc. If you are modest at first you can get some "cycling boxers" that you can wear under your regular shorts that have the moisture wicking materials/padding.

And enjoy it.. it becomes very addictive.

Pic from last Friday ~ 5:30AM here on the lake.

Appreciate 0