View Single Post
      08-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #34
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
+1 on riding with a good pair of bike shorts, jersey.
I average 75-125 miles per week when I am home, A-/A pace, mostly flat city riding where I live, traffic lights and a few pothole filled roads so its hard to do more than a 25-30 mile ride without doing multiple loops.
Current setup- late 80's Cannondale(aluminum frm and fork) that I got for free, spent 75$ on shimano 105 derrailleurs, 75$ for mavic/ultegra rims w/ michelin tires.
Do ride a Felt Redemption 2 for my full suspension mtn bike but, I'm still scared to pick up a Felt F3 since I mostly do city riding and ride along side traffic, have crashed once in the past year and don't want to crash on a 2500-3500$ bike.
Wish I lived out in the sticks or in a biker-friendly place...

GET FITTED FIRST!!!THEN LOOK AT CRAIGSLIST and BIKE SHOPS, THE SHOPS WILL HELP YOU OUT IN THE LONG RUN WHEN U COME BACK TO BUY ACCESSORIES, COMPUTER, TIRES, TUBES, JERSEYS, SHORTS, HELMET, LIGHTS, SHOES, BROKEN CABLES, ETC.

IT IS VERY ADDICTIVE IF YOU END UP RIDING!!
C PACE 14-16mph
B PACE 16-18 mph
A PACE 18-20 mph
A+ PACE 20-24 mph, if you get dropped, they will not wait for you

IT'S THE MOST DANGEROUS SPORT I HAVE DONE- MULTIPLE INCIDENTS WITH CARS, MOST PEOPLE DO NOT PAY ATTENTION AND YOU WILL REALIZE VERY QUICKLY HOW MANY PEOPLE TALK ON THEIR CELL PHONES WHILE DRIVING AND DON'T SEE YOU.
i have to admit, biking can become very addictive (although i only ride mtn). i got my first mtb in 94, still ride it, and i recently got a santa cruz blur LT2.

also, +1 on the danger aspect, especially on the road. from my own experience, bike/car interactions are not fun.