View Single Post
      12-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #33
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
You're right about the non-US markets. My comment was intended for BMWs targeted for the US market, and I did not make that point clear. Apologies!

But there is an EU backlash against diesels that is spreading to other countries as well. It is pure insanity in my opinion, given the efficiency and cleanliness of the new generation of Diesel engines.

I sincerely hope that you are right and we continue to have a diesel option to choose from in the US.
I have spoken to the folks at BMW in NJ and in Munich, they absolutely believe Diesel is necessary for the X5 and X7 for the forseeable future to meet the European C02 standards. They do not see another way for heavy vehicles until battery costs come down over time. The decision here in the USA is purely marketing, they can't figure out the demand situation.

Also note that BMW only had 3 models that had not completed WLTP emissions testing by the deadline of SEpt 1, significantly outperforming other European car companies. So BMW is making "relatively" clean engines that also deliver performance.

Regrading Europe:
There is backlash against Diesel and some european cities want to ban it, BUT diesel cars that comply with latest Euro 6 standards (basically model year 2016+) are good for now. They are talking banning Diesels on older emissions standards which has sent resale value plumetting for Diesels and there has been a mix shift away from Diesel in Europe.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00