View Single Post
      08-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #82
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Car forums operate like political parties. Seldomly will you get an objective opinion outside of what they believe. People take you not favoring their vehicle(s) personally. They think you’re attacking them and their choices. It’s disappointing. Then you have folks denying obvious observations within this community like the status of vehicles, perceived value, prestige etc. Then they encourage you to leave because you won’t bend to herd mentality. X7 is decent but wouldn’t be my first choice for stately, handsome, statement SUV. When i envision the RR Autobiography, i see a person who might live on an estate, with hunting dogs etc. with an X7, perhaps a well-to-do person in an above average home and some financial autonomy. This is what branding does.
man i want to stay out of this, but i'll interject.

branding also succeeds at keeping people brand loyal for subjective reasons. i don't fantasize much about someone enjoying generational wealth in the british countryside with a shotgun over their shoulder and with their waders on. i'm generally resistant to marketing and FOMO and things like that. i have a check list just like everyone else and the vehicle that checks the most boxes in a given class is what i drive.

fwiw, the asp of a range rover is not >100k, fyi. the bulk of the ones you see sold are to the average demographic of an x7 buyer. the lowly, merely affluent US consumer. sounds roughly like head to head competition to me. the fringe AB buyer is not the demographic demonstrative of what one buyer values vs another. the fat part of the distribution curve is.

I've actually owned a bunch of Range Rovers. I've also owned a bunch of GLs. Much like miss duvy (a current land rover owner) im very objective on the topic. if someone is as convinced as you are that a range rover is >> x7 they aren't objective and they can't be engaged in constructive dialogue. besides, i don't care what you prefer and why, nor should you care what i prefer and why. go buy what you buy and the rest will be sorted out by automotive darwinism. if you can share something about range rovers I don't know, i'd love to hear that, though. that's what these forums are to me: information exchange. not trying to feel better about yourself for what you drive vs what the next person does.

range rover will sell 15k range rovers this year in the US, BMW will sell roughly double that. Land rover will keep the niche smug brand whore buyer (i was once a smug brand whore buyer, myself), and that will likely never change. bmw will win over people who love the range (like me) but are open to leaving the brand for whatever reason (me). i have opinions of where the tata owned LR brand is headed. same for the RR itself. those opinions don't need validation, nor should you and yours. buy/fantasize what you like. that's the beauty of having options.
Appreciate 0