View Single Post
      11-16-2016, 09:39 PM   #18
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedbyers View Post
i have been storing cars in several climates (maine & florida) for a few years and have learned a few things.

up north no real need to put on jack stands, but do use flat stoppers if you are not using the jack stands.

battery charger needs to be a 'smart' charger

protect your car from rodents. i use dryer sheets in the engine compartment and passenger cabin. put mothballs on the garage floor as well as lots of mice traps. cover the ends of the exhaust pipes to mouse proof, i use AL foil. on this one i knew i was screwed when i first started a car after taking it out of storage and found mouse $hit about 2 feet behind the exhaust....for about 2 months when the exhaust got warm, it would smell like mouse piss.....

down south, i found that you have to put your car on jack stands. at least when stored in a garage that is not climate controlled. the tires, especially these softer compounds will get flat spots that you will never fully get back out.

i have never used stabilizer in cars that were stored for up to 8 months. i just fill them up prior to storage and have never had an issue. i do use it in small engines that don't get used (lawnmowers/generators).

i wash/wax and dry prior to parking. and generally use a car cover.
did rodents problem occur in FL too? I will be garaging M2 too most of the week once I buy it and I don't know if I need to take preventive action for such an occurrence.
Appreciate 0