10-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Since I purchased my X7 ~7 months ago or so, I have seen a few posts stating that people have been able to assign CarPlay to one of the memory buttons. After 7 months, I still have not been able to figure it out. Usually I can figure out stuff like this, but it has eluded me thus far and it is beginning to bug me...

According to the manual, the way to assign any iDrive function to a button is to first select the specific function or screen in iDrive, then do a long press of the desired mode button, and it should save it to that button. I have done this with radio station presets and it works as advertised. However, with CarPlay open, when I do the long press of any option button, I get a "Unable to save" error. I tried resetting iDrive, but still doesn't work.

So have people really figured out how to assign CarPlay to one of the memory buttons? If so, what am I missing? FWIW, I have had my X7's software updated a few times since my X7 purchase and I have kept my iPhone up to date during this period, but it has never worked each time I have tried it.

:
Yes. It's easier to walk you through it; but I'll try to type.

Select the apple car play item in the menus - but don't actually click on it. Hover over it. Then select and set the radio button. Holding down a button, like #5 for me. The new 07.2020 software also allows you to set a button for apple items like Waze or Music. But similar just hover over it, not selecting to set it.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1837.00