View Single Post
      11-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
You guys are ridiculous. AI took a team with Matt Geiger, Eric Snow, George Lynch, and Theo Ratliff to the NBA finals. He's not a scrub. He's been stuck in Denver with lame duck George Karl and a wannabe superstar that doesn't understand defense. Denver's had no chance.

Chauncey Billups was on the verge of being a bust until Larry Brown brought that team together. Billups, Hamilton, Prince, and Rasheed? It doesn't get any more well rounded than that. The success of Billups and McDyess were a result of the sum of their parts and good coaches.

Im not saying this was a dumb trade if Detroit's trying to win it this year, i'm just trying to say that the Pistons already have Maxiel, who isn't that much worse than the deteriorating McDyess and they have Stuckey, who's already proven he's ready to play. They had to do SOMETHING different to have a chance at one last Finals run and we'll see if AI's scoring ability is enough to push them over the top.

And AI isn't thumbs down. We're from the same hometown, and I've never seen a guy more dedicated to where he came from and using his wealth and celebrity to better the community from which he came. None of his teammates have ever had a problem with him and that's evident in the way Eric Snow and Camby and even Larry Brown all rant about the way.

Seriously, the negative stereotypes about AI should be left in the late 90s where they belong.

And it's not like AI is a real point guard. He played the 2 his entire career in Philly. And when they did switch him to 1, he consistently put up 8+ assists per game and was top 5 in that category every year. You can't sit there and say its one man's fault he doesnt have a ring. Malone had to go against Jordan and that's just not fair. Ewing doesn't have a ring. Marino doesn't have a ring. Kobe doesn't have a ring without Shaq. I could go on for days about great players in their respective sports that never won a championship. Unless its Tennis or Golf, it's really not just up to you. Nash hasn't even been to the NBA finals. Kidd and Stockton don't have rings either.
There are a few problems.

- Iverson obviously takes time to mold to his teammates and this is time he doesn't have near the end of his career.

- He is a great individual player and no one questions his heart but being a great individual player does not mean he makes the team better. He dishes out assists but assists aren't everything. Think of Kobe, he was selfish back in the day but he had a monster cast around him, now he's still a great player but he's more of a team guy and even though his supporting cast isn't as great he makes them all better as a group.

- I still don't think the Pistons were broke. They are making this trade expecting instant results and I just don't think it will happen. I guess time will tell if the chemistry is there. Boston was able to take Allen and Garnett, who had never won a championship, and put them together to win it for the first time ever in a reversal like that. Can AI drop his superstar status and become just another component like KG or RA? If he can then perhaps he has some hope.

- No one ever says anything bad about someone else in public that is an unwritten rule. You never call a guy out, you keep it in the locker room. I'd be willing to bet a lot of guys don't get along with him on the court. After all, "We're talking about practice"