View Single Post
      04-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #11
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Dealers asking for 10 or 15k over MSRP isn't the same as them actually selling for that amount. I would be pretty shocked if many if any are actually selling for that because the OP correctly points out that cars can be had for MSRP. 10k is certainly enough to justify a phone call to an out of state dealer and paying some shipping costs to have it delivered. I don't think we can judge where the market will go by the first few weeks of availability. Just about every new hot car there are always dealers and customers willing to both charge and pay over MSRP but those days are usually quite limited. The I8 being a great example, people were losing their minds and paying way over MSRP until supply caught up with demand less than a year into production and then prices plunged. I can't think of any regular production car that was able to maintain pricing over MSRP for very long. My local dealer has already gone from 10k over MSRP to 5k over and they have only received their second car (I am pretty sure they didn't get the 10k over on the first) so if there was a crazy demand we would see markups going in the other direction. I suspect there are a fairly small but very enthusiastic number of buyers who want one of these cars ASAP and as pretty desperate to get one. BMW will build these cars for several years so everyone who wants one will get one. Even with the 1M there was plenty of cars at MSRP for the customers willing to make the phone calls and do a road trip.
Appreciate 0