07-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1VOM View Post
I don't think that the article was necessarily "bashing" the M3. Rather it touched on the history of BMW M cars and how by creating the 1M for enthusiasts they have created what many believe the current M3 should be. The M3 has been designed to appeal to everyone in the general population with money. The M brand once meant that it was the best car in its class and would out perform all others. It was a car made for enthusiasts to the brand and meant to be driven hard. This doesn't mean that the M3 isn't a great car it just means that it has become something far different from what the M brand once meant. The 1M in their eyes is a small step back to the roots of what an M car should be.
Maginifcently put. I am a 17 year E30 M3 owner that has been waiting for this car for nearly a decade, and I've watched the M3 bloat up from E36-E92 and passed on all. It's not about bashing the M3... it's a great car.. an outstanding GT... but it's also just recognizing that in it's current form, it is nothing like the original. The 1M is the closest so far, and I don't intend to wait until the next M1/M2... which likely will be even more close to the E30 M3 with respect to going back to a 4 cylinder and with weight reduction also indicated as a priority by BMW M engineers.
Appreciate 0