Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus B View Post
Brought a beautiful 2011 535ix with 70k on the clock non running on craigslist. Figured the motor was toast, turned out the #3 connecting rod decided it needed looking at and made an inspection hole in the side of the block. I think the last owner was messing with the valve cover gasket, pinched it and ran out of oil.

This isn't going to be a very detailed guide since the scope of work was pretty huge. TIS was pretty helpful although there was some minor discrepancies.
This swap is 100% possible without a lift, you just need a cherry picker and jackstands.

Got all my parts from FPC euro save a few they didn't have. There was a small issue with my order and FPC were amazing solving it so shout out to them. Same goes for BMW northwest.

Some notes:
  • My car had aluminum bellhousing bolts, looks like bmw switched to steel and you're supposed to replace them so use (5x) 23001222893 to replace them.
  • TIS wants you to remove the trans with the motor, I didn't and it went smooth, you will need to drop the subframe ~2in.
  • I used a 2012 engine, the only difference was the connector on the boost pressure gauges was updated. I ended up just splicing the wiring loom since it was already in the car and the sensors were expensive.
  • Some people say you can use the tow hook to lift the engine, that was not the case for me and I had to buy bmw part number 72 15 8 108 670, It has special threads (kinda like acme but more round) so a normal bolt won't work and there's really no way around this.

Some Special Tools needed:
  • E torx socket and wrench set, just get them upfront, I had never seen those fasteners before and you need the wrenches for the bellhousing bolts
  • All the torx and metric sockets
  • Laptop with ISTA on it to reset adaptions and other stuff
Really didn't need much else special, obviously will need a good shop for this though.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
I also have some parts from the original engine (injectors, HPFP, ect.) that should still be good and willing to sell at low prices.
I am interested, in your opinion how well was the old engine taken care of? Was there a lot of sludge? How is the rest of the car?
Appreciate 0