afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
You can respray the hood for less than $1.8K, and repaint most of the car for under $6K.
If/when necessary.

Or pay upfront to drive in a condom!
Not only the hood, but you'd probably have to repaint the front bumper, and other panels to have the paint blended in because the color won't be exact.
To be less hypothetical - I had previously done the above with two of my cars, including an Avus Blau (tricky color) E36M3. On that car, I had front hood and front fenders repainted after ~6 years and 50K miles of chips on TX roads (plastic bumper, surprisingly, didn't need repaint). It cost me $850 at the best paint shop in town (in early 00's), and the paint was blended into the rest of the car at the front fender seam. The job was perfect, and in retrospect, cost me less than what I would have paid to plastic film-wrap it.

Personally, I love the shine and simplicity of care with traditional car paints.

If I need to touch up a few nicks, I can DIY that with OEM touch-up paint kits. I usually do that for the first few nicks that bother me, then let it go.
If the chips start bothering me too much, I can repaint the entire hood down the road. No drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk74 View Post
Then just think, the day after you drive off with your new $$$ paint job a rock hits your bumper and you have another paint chip. Now won't that just make you feel nice and fuzzy inside?

I'd rather have the paint protection installed from my experience then have to deal with repainting. But to each his own I guess.
To each his own!
Enjoy your car - it is amazing with, or without, protection film!

a
Appreciate 0