View Single Post
      07-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Yeah Harold...I Believe!!

Here's two extended quotes of the most recent (late July, 2006) posts from two regular contributors to GCZ
who seem to have an inside track on all things Bimmer....both posts address the 2-er Coupe.

Q. Where are the prototypes?

EniLab - "Under the hatch mules - since the chassis architecture will be almost the same as the one of hatch (except the settings). Also the cabrio chassis & body need more development time - since it is the cabrio and the architecture is different to reach the right torsional stiffness, and also roof has to pass all the nasty testings.

There are also some 2er coupes cruising around - with original coupe body, but camouflaged as cabrio (the roof is mimicking canvas roof).

But 2er coupe will soon join the cabrio at hot weather testing in Death Valley - wearing original coupe body. As I was told we can expect FEP phases to be closed early next year.

BMW are also playing with an idea to debut 2er cabrio first, and coupe few months later.

I doubt we will see 2er in Geneva. My guess is Geneva will bring 3dr 1er, facelifted 5er, and 3er cabrio (X5 will debut in LA in December this year), while Frankfurt 2007 will bring the 2er. But this is just my guess. Unless E93 cabrio is shown in Detroit in January, and then there is enough space to show 2er in Geneva. But I still have doubt. Have to get some more detailed info after my sources end their vacations. ?"

Scott26: "The 1er cars currently pounding US roads are specifically hot weather testing engines such as the low end turbo expected to be badged as a 123i when the 3dr sports coupe launches later this year.

Several Cabrios are now undergoing Hot weather testing in the USA now.
Uniquely for a BMW Internationally the Cabrio will appear first before the Coupe placing it directly in the target area for fun seeking young and old Californians.

The Coupe will follow a few months after."

"FEP phases?" Anyway, it seems to be not a question of is there a 2-Coupe, but exactly when do we start seeing it?
The Frankfurt Auto Show is traditionally held in early September.
So, I guess EniLab is speculating that we'll see the 2-er, September 2007.
If this is the case then accurate jpgs from AutoBild could be popping up (hopefully) this spring.
Appreciate 0