03-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #9
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I've spent a LOT of my life (well over half, actually) living and working overseas in various locations. I agree with Resjudicata. If it's free, just ship it over. Warranty and even covered maintenance is a lesser issue. I've driven US-spec vehicles all around the world, including my old Jeep Grand Cherokee through Paris. (that was interesting) Now, if you're rolling in dough, sure, sell it, and buy a Euro model something when you get there. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat the smaller issues (most of which can be addressed), and just take your X7.

I will say, driving Bimmers on their native homeland German autobahns is a BLAST. Truly what they were designed for. (yes, I realize our babies are made in SC)
Yeah I have fantasized about the autobahn and especially driving through the Alps 😉
Question:
I've heard that you can in fact leave American plates on a vehicle for a determined amount of time and avoid a lot of the paper work and fees etc.
Not sure if it's a terrible idea. Switzerland is about as safe as it gets, but in some neighboring countries like France and Italy where there is a lot of theft related to tourism in the big in the big cities, you would be basically advertising yourself as a tourist.
Any experience with this?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0