Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post
Yeah, I know BMW NA does not want me to sell it over there for good reason. They did have me sign a document when I bought it agreeing to not take it overseas for 2 years.
I'm sure that was due to how expensive these types of Vehicles can be in some countries, and of course everything in Switzerland is outrageously expensive. I had asked the Salesperson about this document and told him that sometime in the futures I may indeed move to another country. He told me not to worry about it and that it was mainly to prevent the buying of vehicles in the US and making a business out of shipping them overseas. I know, I should of just refused to sign it, but I thought I'd be in the US 2 more years at least.
Thanks for giving me your thoughts.
I have never heard of such a document, unless it was deep in the fine print in an area of the paperwork that I have never paid attention to previously. Is this unique to certain, high end vehicles? Or did your dealer only make you sign this document because you mentioned that you may be moving overseas? FWIW, I had once heard (from a BMW Client Advisor no doubt), that BMWs and other luxury brands are "heavily subsidized" by auto manufacturers to sell cars significantly cheaper in the US when compared to the rest of the world. I never verified this statement or researched it further, but it may be related to why BMW NA allegedly does not want you to sell your X7 overseas.
Yep.
It was the first time I had seen such a document and they did not know previously that I may be moving to Europe.
The document actually had me commit to not taking it out of North America for 2 years I believe, even if I was not selling it.
And yeah it wasn't very smart of me to sign it, but it was one of the last documents to sign and I just wanted to take my car home 😅 after both filling out all the paperwork having waited so long for this car to arrive.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1837.00