View Single Post
      08-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
wac77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
Yup..."soft-stop" would be a fine feature if it worked like its advertised. But the problem is it doesn't! If you release just a bit of pressure on the pedal to smoothen out the stop, the car will come to a stop and lurch forward an inch and stop again.

Some might say, "why don't you just hold the pedal down with constant pressure, maybe that's your problem..." First off, that's not a solution, I'm not going to be whiplashed into my dash at every stop light...The E90 has strong, good brakes, there is no doubting that...But the soft-stop needs to be more refined to just activate when coming to a stop, and not after the car is already stopped. With an automatic, it's dangerous because the transmission is loaded so the car will move any brake pressure is taken away, causing the car to lurch forward. That's the issue with soft-stop.
I really do NOT understand the issue. Based on your earlier posts, I thought that the car would move a bit while you were still applying the brakes fully, which would be a serious defect. But now I read that you are releasing the brakes (even if only slightly so), in which case I wouldn't even call it a defect.