View Single Post
      04-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #86
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
I prefer my 2016 GL550 over this new one. I’ve had two GL’s, and I’ve always been a MB fan. Between my husband and I, we’ve had six Mercedes, including two AMG’s, but we’ve been so disappointed in their styling in the last few years. Even though I have my 50i on order, I’ve been so nervous about the 2020 GLS — I was secretly afraid I’d end up liking it better when it was revealed. So I’m breathing a sigh of relief this week. This new one is nowhere near as sleek as the X7. The front is barely any different from what it’s been for a decade, and the rear looks very similar to the X7, but it misses the mark somewhere. Even my upgraded Designo interior on my current GL isn’t as plush as the Individual interior I have coming. I am happy to see that MB is finally putting captains chairs as an option for the 2nd row — that was honestly my biggest reason for jumping ship.
I agree with your assessment of the new GLS. I owned a MY14 GL 550, a MY15 GL 550, and most recently a loaded MY17 GLS 550 (Active Curve, designo leather, etc.) that we were going to trade on an ordered GLE 450 but when the first of the GLE's showed up at dealerships I was underwhelmed. I wasn't planning on buying the X7 but when I saw it for the first time and then drove it, I just had to have one. So we canceled our GLE order and bought a X7 xDrive 50i off the showroom floor. We love it (so far) and find it much more exciting to drive.

When the first pics of the GLS began posting a few days ago, like you, I was relieved that I made the right choice. I think it's nice looking and an improvement over the previous generation but it too is a bit underwhelming, especially the interior which to me needs more pop. But Mercedes makes a great SUV and looks are subjective. So if someone would rather spend their hard-earned money on GLS, to each his own. In the end how does their buying a GLS affect you one way or the other?
Appreciate 0