View Single Post
      10-25-2023, 08:04 AM   #7
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_666 View Post
So... is this the norm with these cars? I mean it's essentially a computer (an extremely unreliable one) on wheels with all the digital bells and whistles. Or do I have a lemon of sorts on hand??
If there was only one computer like my '95 Jeep has (which has never suffered an electronic anomaly), life would be better. There are hundreds of microcontollers and millions of lines of code now responsible for a typical automobile's operation, all which rely on hundreds of sensors and actuators to perform the even most simple tasks. As far as I can ascertain, the only function on my X7 that is not electronic is the mechanical button that opens the center console. Undoubtedly, BMW is working diligently to link opening and closing this compartment to the owners' smartphones, since an icon on an 6" OLED screen is far more intuitive that a mechanical button.

Apparently BMW engineers don't comprehend "failsafe design", and believe rendering a vehicle completely non-operative due to a failed sensor, actuator or microcontroller is an entirely acceptable consequence. Far better to leave a motorist stranded and waiting hours for a tow truck than to allow the vehicle to be driven with some non-critical system non-functional.

Reliability is becoming worse, not better, with each new year's models. I've purchased my last new vehicle.
Appreciate 3