View Single Post
      10-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #158
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
In Z4/Supra partnership, it was reported that BMW was surprised at the precision of Toyota's quality control as many BMW parts had to be sent back to BMW for "fixing." Conversely, Toyota was surprised by BMW's emphasis on R&D & performance. So the idea that Toyota/Lexus are said to be generally more reliable and BMW better performing, isn't a coincidence.

Re JD Power Dependability Studies (and Consumer Reports Surveys as well), I think what's more revealing isn't that Lexus is on top, but the consistency at which they're at the top. I can't recall over the past 10+ years to find Lexus not at #1 or #2. I do agree that the 3 Series has been sufficiently reliable (since the E46 era, IMO) to the point where it's not really an issue anymore and you don't have to sacrifice reliability for performance (or vice versa).
There were rumors afoot last year, that after the collaboration with BMW and Toyota on the Supra was going to yield another collaboration on the IS, which apparently did not come to fruition. I was extremely excited about my two favorite manufacturers combining to build my favorite car. Was really hoping for a twin-turbo I-6 powerplant to an IS.

Let's just hope the IS500 isn't the same disappointment the 2021 IS is going to be.
Appreciate 0