View Single Post
      10-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
It was done this way to save weight. True story...the A110 is all about weight savings and they developed a DCT gearbox lighter than a manual gearbox for this car....I agree I'd love this in a manual but honestly I'd take it in any gearbox if they sold it in the US.

Alpine have done this right.
How much lighter? 10lbs, 100lbs? It's not worth it to me, even if it was 100lbs. Plus, I think they're looking for excuses. According to the chief engineer, “[A manual] was considered early on in the project but we shelved it pretty quickly because okay, there’s a hardcore client out there who will always want a manual gearbox even though I can prove the dual-clutch is more efficient. But the percentage of those people is very, very small, and the business case is overwhelmingly for DCT transmissions. We’re very happy with the result and we think 95 per cent of our customers will be too.”

Here's my take. It's one thing to only have a DCT/Auto in world beating cars, when ultimate speed is the primary goal, but cars like the 1M, M2, 718, A110, 4C, and even the 911, etc., are as much about fun and feel as outright speed, and I'd never buy a car like that without a manual. I'd pay thousands extra for a manual, if need be.

Last edited by duder13; 10-02-2018 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
FIRSTM143.50