View Single Post
      06-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
bruiserk18
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
I hope they keep the 1er simple, light and sports-oriented. Only then will it keep in touch with what the 2002 meant in its time.

Like a broken record, I always refer back to the Miata. But it's a success story based on corporate restraint and holding focus on a core concept: a simple lightweight roadster that hearkens back to a bygone era. While the Miata (now MX-5) has evolved, it has never strayed far from the now 18-year-old original. It remains true to the original concept and Mazda has resisted letting it bloat significantly beyond its original proportions. Were I to buy a 2007 Miata, it would still feel like my 1995, only better.

I hope BMW does the same with the 1er. It can be just as iconoic for the premium compact sports coupe/sedan as the Miata has been for the roadster. And I hope in two decades time we can buy a BMW that still celebrates what a sports coupe/sedan should be.
It's a perfect example though spudwest. My father has a '96 Miata that I still rank in the top 3 of fun cars to drive. We recently test drove a '07 and Mazda has not strayed from the original idea, it just does everything the '96 does but a bit better. The Miata has an intangible "fun factor" that 11 years later the MX-5 still retains. BMW has the opportunity to do the same with 1er, and if they stay true will sell a massive number of these cars.

FYI...I'll be ordering the 135i because I can't resist!
Appreciate 0