View Single Post
      11-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Winshield wipers moving themselves??? Scratched the hood while washing car!

I'm pissed. I was giving the wife's X7 a nice hand wash last week, and as part of my washing routine, I always lift the wipers away from the windshield so I can clean the windshield easily without snagging my washing sponge on the wipers.

Well, I temporarily put the windshield wipers back down against the glass, and the X7 decided to "self adjust" the wipers or something stupid like that while I continued to wash the car. I then lifted the wipers up again to rinse out excess car shampoo from the underside of the wiper. As I lifted them, the wiper arm bumped into the rear edge of the hood and took off a good chunk of paint.

Why is the X7 doing this? I can literally feel the physical connection of the wipers to the servo motor that moves them. If you rotate the wipers in their natural wiping direction, you can feel the "robotic" feel of the servo motor rotating. They are clearly "reindexing" or doing something strange even when I'm not in the car (key is in my pocket while washing).

My M240i does not do this. The wipers stay in one place and I can lift them up and lay them back down as often as I need to while washing the car.

What is going on with this X7? Should I take it back to the dealership and demand they repair the paint damage to my hood?