View Single Post
      05-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
jskylarwilson
Rep
Drives: G07, F85

X7 Cup Holders and SRS | potential huge safety issue

Hi All,

I'm having a big issue with BMW right now, and can use some thoughts and ideas on how to navigate the situation.

Note: The SRS (airbag) control module sits directly underneath the cup holder.

My fiancé has a 2019 X7 (still under factory warranty) which gave her a restraint system failure notification this past Saturday.

We take the car to the dealer on Monday and get a loaner. They diagnose the issue and figure out that the SRS control module has gone bad and they need to order a new one.

They call her Wednesday to tell her that the part arrived, but that it'll be a $2200 repair since liquid was spilled into the SRS control module. NOTE: Some liquid had spilled, but it wasn't a lot (like 1-2 ounces). A fast food cup sat in the cup holder for 12ish hours and some soda leaked out the bottom. Not even 1/4 of the cup - a very little amount.

With the dealer's help, we escalate the issue to BMW corporate asking for them to help cover since it's a clear design flaw that a liquid sensitive control module is sitting directly underneath a cup holder, where beverages are designed to go.

BMW corporate denies, and the dealer is asking us to cover the $2400 bill.
I've been working with the dealer on this and have called BMW NA Customer Service, which has been no help. I don't think we should be on the hook for using the cup holders in the way they were intended, just to have the SRS control module go out.

Likely what'll happen is that we'll pay the bill to get it fixed and trade the car in, but I'd rather not do that. We don't want to drive the car and be afraid of using the cupholders, only to end up drinking another $2400 iced tea. I think BMW should step up with some goodwill and pay to fix this clear design flaw, while preventing it from happening again in the future (sealing the SRS control module).

Friends have recommended I take legal action, but I don't want to go that far. Still, I think BMW should do a recall for all X7s and seal the control module. What happens if you're in the middle of nowhere on a road trip, a little liquid spills in the cup holder (we're talking about 1-2 ounces) and your airbags all of the sudden don't work? Are you supposed to pull over and call a tow truck, and get the car towed or keep driving and risk the airbags not deploying if you get into a collision?

Lastly, Toyota had a situation just like this and issued a recall to seal the SRS module. BMW is letting a big safety issue happen and should fix this clear design flaw.
Appreciate 4
dmanb2b2124.50
RAJENT60.00