06-09-2022, 07:25 PM   #15
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZBMerLife View Post
The X5 is a lot more expensive. Im considering the M550 and the X5 M50 and the X5 with similar equipment is 10k more than the M550i. Not sure about other models, but I know 5 series and X5 is a big price difference.
It seems to be the opposite for the 7... in addition to what wtwo3 said about the 40, the X7 M50 is also roughly $10k cheaper than a similarly equipped 750.

Though on test drives I could definitely feel that BMW did some cost cutting on the X7... the 7 sedan just feels like a better place to be. A bit quieter, more leather (e.g. on the B pillar), more metallized buttons & trim (the X7 has a bunch of black plastic on the doors), better interior design/appearance overall, and the great ceramic controls instead of the garbage standard iDrive controls (this was the most surprising thing to me when test driving BMWs... $70k to $100k cars, yet (even with glass controls) the iDrive knob feels & sounds like a cheap plasticky mechanism, worse quality than the switchgear in my Honda Civic).

But the X7 leaves you with $10k more in your bank account which compensates for the deficiencies, imo it's a slightly better value than the 7. However, the back seats of the 7 not folding down makes it incredibly impractical... my Civic Coupe easily carried IKEA boxes for 95% of the furniture in my house, whereas the 7 would struggle with anything beyond the smallest items. Which made the X7 the better option for me, and I think also for the vast majority of people - better price & value, and much more practical.
Appreciate 1