12-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbchun View Post
which is better? the factory premium or this alpine retrofit?
How long is a piece of string :wink:. This is of course a pretty subjective question. The premium system is primarily provided by Harmon Kardon. It includes an upgrade of the Amp from about 160 to 280 Watts, the upgrading of all speakers to Harmon Kardon metal cone speakers, and the addition of the Logic 7 Digital Signal Processor, and 5 channel digital Equaliser. Finally all communications between the Head Unit and the Amp are on the Fibre Optic MOST bus, and are therefore not prone to analogue frequency interference while travelling down the car.

The Alpine system is not a MOST bus AMP, does not upgrade all the speakers, does not include Logic 7 (some may say this is a good thing !!), but I gotta say, I love Alpine sound !! Also it is not going to be prone to the common Bass rattle experienced by my owners with the Premium System.

I have the Premium System, and am more than pleased with it, it should be relatively easy to find dealers with both the standard and premium to compare, but it will be hard for you to find an Alpine equipped car to compare.