View Single Post
      03-10-2022, 10:13 PM   #84
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'm not sure what issues Mavus had with his 3.6R Outback, but our experience with our 2015 Outback 3.6R is completely different. We've owned the car since new in January 2015. It's NEVER been in the shop for work or a warranty repair. It is on it's 3rd battery now, largely because Subaru underspec'd the capacity for the amount of electronic equipment on the car. We learned that we need to put it on a trickle charger occasionally. The fit and finish on the Outback is just like anything else in it's class (it was a $32K car in 2015).

I put 17X8 Method Rally MR50 wheels and a set of all terrain tires on it about 2.5 years ago. The thing is an absolute beast in the snow and offroad (with care). We've been all around the Colorado mountains in it. It's very stable on and offroad and even when loaded with 4 people, the back full, a roof top carrier, and a hitch with 70lbs of camping gear in it. It gets 28mpg loaded up like that too going nearly 80mph.

With respect to snow traction, I find quite impressive with the all terrain tires. It definitely has a bit of RWD basis in the snow which i much prefer.

With respect to carrying tires/wheels, I could fit my M235 wheels/tires lined up side to side with the back seat still up.

My biggest gripe with the Outback is the CVT. It's still one of the best CVTs I've ever driven and it has fake shifts during normal driving which helps quell the drone of a CVT, but I can't help but think how much quicker and better MPGs it would have it had a 7 or 8 speed auto.

We gave the Outback to our 17 y/o son back in July 2020 when my wife bought her 2020 4runner TRD Off-Road Premium. We've done that truck up to look like a TRD Pro clone. Talk about an off road beast. I love both those vehicles.