Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
When BMW introduced the original iDrive it was by far the most un-intuitive, clumsy, and slow system on the market yet created an industry standard going forward. Audi waited a moment and debuted after and it was refined, faster, user friendly GUI and intuitive... but as the article states 2016+ BMW jumped to the forefront and has been there ever since. Audi MMI may have the better graphics and speed because of their nvidia chipsets but for overall use and practicality BMW takes it. MB is still twisting in the wind trying to figure out "Comand" and how to make it work. Worst centralized infotainment system in the Euro Segment.
My $.02.... Personally, I think the primary reason a lot people/industry felt this way initially about the system/interface has more to do with that it was different, very different from anything else that was out there at the time (dare I say revolutionary??) - albeit still unrefined as most "revolutionary" ideas are that hit the market. When looking at the refinement of iDrive today, it is real easy to take that for granted when compared to the original iDrive systems, most of which are no longer on the road now (and memories of how it worked can be fleeting..).

It is human nature to dislike (and complain about) anything that is different. The more different it is, the bigger/louder the complaint. I think the true test of how "good" something is has to do with does it last after the "complaining" has stopped. With the iDrive interface, BMW has clearly passed that threshold which is why it is one of the top rated infotainment system interfaces in production now...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
iconoclast7265.50