04-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab33d View Post
Sup boys,

So I've had my 6MT e92 M3 for over a year now and was trying to get some more information on where some good beginner tracks are. I have never driven on a track before but would like to experience it !
A few questions off the top of my head are:

1) Any recommendations for some track locations in the Southern California Area ? How much should I expect to pay?
2) Should I be concerned with getting another set of track tires to save tread on my current tires. Will a day at the track really wear down my tires?
3) Should I consider to bra off some of my front end in case of rock chips etc...
4) Any other advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks guys & happy driving
Join your local BMWCCA chapter and try autocross. You'll probably get hooked and it causes not much more wear & tear on your vehicle than regular driving. Real tracking you'll probably want to get better brakes and tires.
AutoX is cheap ($60/day approx) but you spend most of a day and only get about 12 runs. It's a day out and a chance to spend time with other BMW fans.
Track is more expensive but you get a lot more time (You can also cause serious damage to you/car at track). For me there are no convenient tracks (that don't require less than a few hours drive), to San Diego, but I plan on doing some after I get a few autox's under my belt.

BMWCCA Central Chapter are doing a 3 day track event around May 28th, one day at Button Willow (Bakersfield) and 2 days at Fontana (LA).

Something like $300/day.
Appreciate 0