06-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
chances are if they swap the stock manifold back in without fixing the cause of the missfire - it's still not going to run properly.
Yeah I know ... but then they'll have to address the cause of the rough idle and misfire. Basically I'm taking out the intake as an excuse, buy reinstalling the stock one. If the stock intake cures the issue ... we'll know that was it. If not, it's on them.

I dropped off the car last night but stopped by this morning. I spoke to the shop manager about the possibility of a coil causing the misfire. He said that when they checked the misfire code, it didn't tell them which cylinder caused the code, so that lead them to suspect it wasn't truly a misfire issue but something that is throwing that code due to the 3IM install (he also went onto say how they deal with ignition coil issues often, so that's a reason why they are dismissing it being a coil).

Regardless of what he thinks ... They're going to check the coils to make sure there's not something loose. If there isn't any coil issues ... back to stock.

I explained to him that if "it's not something they did as they claim ... then the stock intake should remedy the issue." He acknowledged the point. As he is certain that they are not the cause of the issue. He just stated that they'd be happy to reinstall the manifold, but thinks its a "programming" issue. Unfortunately it won't be until Monday that they'll look at it.

The manager is certain that it's a programming issue, that's why it's acting up. HE also noted if the DISA's are not operating properly ... it could cause too rich of a system, therefore the issues. To me, I'd rather mitigate any additional issues/runaround buy just biting the bullet cut my losses, and go with someone with more experience doing performance work (BPC).

*** To add insult to injury .... the BOSH mechanic didn't tighten my battery's negative terminal and I got stuck in a grocery store parking lot ... and had to call AAA for a jump. (car died with key in ignition and I couldn't open the trunk to even check the terminals). PLUS the mechanic left a large screwdriver in the engine compartment.

I think the mechanic sped thru the installation and was sloppy. When the car died, I immediately called the shop, and spoke to the mechanic ... I questioned the battery. He stated that he did reconnect the battery terminal ... he didn't even realize he never tightened the connection.

I believe it's likely loosened a coil, as you mentioned ... BUT I highly doubt they'll admit they even made a mistake anyway. Reinstalling the stock intake and bringing my business elsewhere seems to be the best bet. I'll go ahead and install new DISA valves before I attempt the install again, just to make sure they're not the cause.

Last edited by N52UNED; 06-10-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0