View Single Post
      10-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
martopoulos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Improving straight-line launch times (+ some accelerometer insights)

So, I bought a low-end accelerometer (K.A.T. Matrix 3-Axis, only about $102 from Amazon) to compare launch times on various small mods and different modes. It's a pretty good value-- more accurate than phone apps, and battery powered so you don't have to keep it permanently wired to your mirror ports. The only major downside is that some of the buttons are "sticky" and it takes some finagling to unstick them.

On a mostly stock 2016 M235i with 225/40 all-season tires + Eisenmann exhaust and Dinan intake, I got 4.84 seconds in Sport+ mode. When I tried Launch Control, the fish tailing was so bad that I'm sure it would have been 6+ seconds if I hadn't just stopped. I figured this might be because of my tires, so I replaced all of them with Michelin PSS (235 front, 245 rear) in the hope of improving traction. I attempted the same modes again:

Sport+ ... 4.83 sec
Launch Control ... 5.2 sec

(FWIW, outside temperature was around 75, tires were warmed up from ~30 min of normal driving beforehand)

The fish tailing was very slightly improved in Launch Control (subjective assessment), but as you can see, nowhere near Sport+. Other posters have commented that when magazines have tried out Launch Control, their times worsened. I always assumed (incorrectly?) that the 4.6 sec 0-60 time that BMW cites was in launch control, but maybe that's not the case?

Is it worth it to try to improve traction with the MP LSD? Or get a tuner and not bother with Launch Control?

Last edited by martopoulos; 10-29-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 1