View Single Post
      02-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
1&3 tie together. To swap out my coil overs, it took the shop about 4 hours and that includes the adjustments needed to set the coil overs at the same height which you would not have with just a spring swap. 2-3 hours should be more than plenty on a standard suspension set-up. With DHP I heard it takes a little longer, so if the shop took 4 hours I wouldn't argue with them. Not sure if I would let a shop that hasn't lowered an F30 before touch it. I would seek out independent BMW shops or even BMW themselves. My dealer was only about 100 bucks more on the quote than the independent shop I went to. I chose against them because the shop supplied my coil overs at a good price and if there was an issue then they would warranty it. Since you seemed to have bought the springs online, I would just take it to a BMW dealer or at least give them a shot at quoting. I rather pay a little extra than to have someone that has little experience with the DHP or the F30 a training course using my car as a guinea pig.

2. You will hear both arguments. It's like politics...LOL... I have been driving and lowering vehicles since the late 80s and never once waited to do the alignment. The reason being is that the springs will settle, but the settling is only about a 1/4" give or take which will not throw alignment off. Most of the settling that people think is so great is when you first set the car on the ground which is actually just the shocks aren't compressed yet. Tell the shop to drive it around a couple of blocks and that would be good enough to do the alignment. So you might as well get it done in one shot. If it gives you peace of mind, then wait, but it is not necessary.
Appreciate 0