02-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buco702 View Post
I'm not too sure about the other two questions, but you do need wait for the springs to settle before getting an alignment. I would wait at least a week or two.
Thanks for you input I think that's the conservative approach so I might go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069;*****646
1) 2hrs tops at a reputable shop
3) nope
Thanks.. I was quoted 5-6 hours at local shops here, and when I argued back that someone else can do it for 2-3 hours they say go for it. Only one shop so far said he can do 3 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
1&3 tie together. To swap out my coil overs, it took the shop about 4 hours and that includes the adjustments needed to set the coil overs at the same height which you would not have with just a spring swap. 2-3 hours should be more than plenty on a standard suspension set-up. With DHP I heard it takes a little longer, so if the shop took 4 hours I wouldn't argue with them. Not sure if I would let a shop that hasn't lowered an F30 before touch it. I would seek out independent BMW shops or even BMW themselves. My dealer was only about 100 bucks more on the quote than the independent shop I went to. I chose against them because the shop supplied my coil overs at a good price and if there was an issue then they would warranty it. Since you seemed to have bought the springs online, I would just take it to a BMW dealer or at least give them a shot at quoting. I rather pay a little extra than to have someone that has little experience with the DHP or the F30 a training course using my car as a guinea pig.

2. You will hear both arguments. It's like politics...LOL... I have been driving and lowering vehicles since the late 80s and never once waited to do the alignment. The reason being is that the springs will settle, but the settling is only about a 1/4" give or take which will not throw alignment off. Most of the settling that people think is so great is when you first set the car on the ground which is actually just the shocks aren't compressed yet. Tell the shop to drive it around a couple of blocks and that would be good enough to do the alignment. So you might as well get it done in one shot. If it gives you peace of mind, then wait, but it is not necessary.
I think I prefer to drive the car for a few days before going back to do the alignment. I've installed springs once in the past on an E46 and did the alignment on the same day without issues, but I'd rather take the "better safe than sorry" approach with my F30.

On the other hand, do you know why DHP would be different when swapping springs? As I said ^ 1 shop quoted me 3 hours but the others were talking 5-6 hours. I did not mention DHP as I was worried this would scare them and therefore they'd add a couple of hours!

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0