05-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Snapper Chris
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i SE Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM21 View Post
Just picked up my new 520d in Alpine White with Oyster/Black leather, Sports Auto, Professional Nav, Xenons, DAB, Business HIFi etc.
Absolutely love it!

But, within the first full day of having it, the IDrive stoppped working completely - black screen no radio, no parking sensors etc. Took it back to dealer. By time they went out to it - it was OK again.
This has happened 4 or 5 times now and seems to occur after I have been out to car to sit in it and 'play' with the controls, or show somebody around it, without going anywhere. If I leave car for about 20 mins, and come back to it the fault has gone usually.
If I take it back to the dealers, sods law says it will be OK again.

Has anyone else had (or heard of) similar problems ? Or any idea what the problem could be.
A similar situation happened to me within a few days of collecting my F11 last September. After about a minute or so after starting the car the iDrive system would crash but most times it would then reboot and run OK for the rest of that journey. Initially my dealer was unable to diagnose the fault as apparently no faults showed up on their diagnostics system or even when they connected it online to BMW, despite the fact that they could physically see the iDrive shutting down. To be honest I think this is when some dealers rely too much on the diagnostics and when that doesn't solve the problem to assume there is therefore no fault. But finally BMW authorised the replacement of the whole iDrive system and it has been absolutely fine since.

As I understand it the whole display screen has to come out to do this and I was concerned about possible trim damage as experienced by some owners but fortunately there was none at all and the dashboard is still as new.

Obviously you aren't going to enjoy the car at all with this fault so I'd suggest getting the car into your dealer as soon as possible for them to investigate fully and sort it out for you.

Hopefully your dealer/ BMW have more experience of such issues now and a fix for you will be rapidly forthcoming.

Otherwise my car has been perfect!

Last edited by Snapper Chris; 05-02-2011 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction!
Appreciate 0