06-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
But doesn't the bonnet latches grip at the same general height, so adjusting the outer rubber stops only affects the bonnet to fender height?!
You are absolutely right.

It is impossible to rise the bonnet by merely unscrewing the rubber stops, since the latches won't allow it. The only thing one will achieve by doing that is that it will become harder to close the bonnet. But it will not change its position. In order for it to rise, the "eyelets" on the inner side of the bonnet have to be unscrewed by the same amount as well.

However, if the bonnet was dropped by the previous owner by simply screwing in the rubber stops (without screwing in the "eyelets" to compensate), then it might work. It will simply return to its original position.

As a side note, whenever one adjusts the bonnet height, one has to adjust both the rubber stops and the "eyelets" simultaneously by the same amount. Those who adjust the rubber stops only are doing another bit of "ghetto tuning", potentially leading to either damaged or stupid-looking vehicle.

If the previous owner really did something like that, it is pretty easy to test for. Just walk up to the vehicle, grab the front edge of the bonnet and try to lift it (without unlatching the bonnet). If it lifts a little when you pull it up, that would immediately indicate that the previous owner screwed in the rubber stops without compensating with "eyelets". Just unscrew the rubber stops back to their original position. But if the bonnet is solid, i.e. it doesn't move up when you pull it up, then it means that the previous owner did it right: he adjusted the "eyelets" as well. In that case you'll have to readjust both the stops and the "eyelets".

Last edited by AndreyT; 06-12-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0