View Single Post
      08-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #50
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Fastestlaps.com, while it's a good reference, shouldn't be looked as something to prove a point IMO. You can't have concrete evidence if the drivers and other variables aren't the same. For example, both the C63 AMG and C63 AMG w/ performance package both clock in at 8:01? I don't think so.

That's not to say the C63 AMG isn't faster than the M3 or vice versa. I haven't looked at other times from different media sources so I'm not sure if the LCI C63 is faster on average but people using that site as definitive proof doesn't really work IMO.
I agree that there are variables but that's always going to be a problem when dealing with lap times (especially when comparing lap times of different cars). The skills disparity between professional shoes, journalists, HPDE enthusiasts, and beginners is great. However, that website does have a method when it comes to accepting and posting lap times. I'm sure the full methodology can be found somewhere. For example, only non-modified (i.e., "stock") cars are listed.

Also, it doesn't really surprise me that the PP and non-PP C63 achieved the same time.

Why? The suspensions are identical. When the facelift/LCI W204 debuted in 2012 (late '11 abroad), all C63s received a new (and more aggressively tuned) suspension. Also, the brake setups on each car are virtually identical.

The only major "hardware" differences between the PP and non-PP cars are: the PP cars have composite rotors (calipers are the same); the PP cars have a modest horsepower increase and speed limiter increase.

So if you increase the power output on a car with the same suspension setup and virtually the same brake setup, it actually might have a tendency to be more difficult to control.

The PP cars have the option of being fitted with a LSD but we don't know whether 1) the base car tested had the LSD added as an option; 2) the PP car had the LSD fitted.

My 2 cents.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0