Thread: Clutch
View Single Post
      09-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban
also, i've been hearing somethings about the tranny not being able to take more than 350whp. If that's the case, beefing up the clutch will only light the fuse for tranny failure, since the power has to go somewhere, i'd rather replace the clutch than tranny.
Its not hp that breaks trannys its torque. Manual trannys will take a lot more tq than you think. Think about it... they are helical gears that can withstand tons of force. There really isn't much to a MT. You do need to worry about the syncros and unless you are a douche w/stick and time your shifts properly, i wouldn't worry about it till you get to about 550+ ft/lbs tq. If anyone breaks a gear with the MT I will be seriously impressed and ask them to refer me to their clutch manufacturer.

Quote:
if 100% of the torque is at the wheels really early in the rpm range, why would it matter how high your rpm launch is?
Because you want the most tq and hp, (traction willing)at the wheels, coming off the line. We all know tq is what wins races but a good ratio (hp:tq) is needed to launch effectively.
Appreciate 0