View Single Post
      06-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Personally, I think he's full of shit...But is there a way to take your car "offline"?

That being said...

A JB4, for example, is a piggyback, not a flash tune. As far as the ECU is concerned, it's running normally.

With the JB4 autoclear on, it will never allow the CEL to throw. With the o2 sim, the CEL will never be thrown, and the car thinks everything is AOK. So no worries there.

Moreover, even if you did nothing and drove around with the CEL...there would be no way to know if the CEL was for a bad o2 sensor, or some other issue vs. a catless DP. Although they could speculate. I seriously doubt they'd attempt to deny an engine warranty claim because you'd car threw an o2 CEL.

In any case, it's a hard call to make. Feel out your dealer to see if they're light mod friendly (I've gotten turbos replaced under warranty when they knew it was running a JB4). Or Just pull the JB4 and DP off if you ever bring the car in for warranty work.

For me, I don't take "advantage" of the free maintenance. I can do my own oil/fluid/filter changes, and prefer to if it saves my the albeit minor headache of pulling off a JB4 and a DP every time the car needs to go in.
I hope you're right on this.

I honestly have no idea on this, I'm just passing on what I was told. I do know the car is linked to some cellular data service though. My $500 Iphone tries to dump everything onto the cloud for me, so it wouldn't surprise me that the $50,000 car does it too.

He claimed they had an M5 with a toasted engine that Corporate tried to deny coverage due to the aftermarket tune that they could see in the system.

Someone who knows more should chime in on this!
Appreciate 0