View Single Post
      10-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

Question Speed Limit Display 8TH accuracy? / Map Display of speed limit zones?

Hi All,
For those of you that specified Speed limit display 8TH in Europe.

How do you find it ?

We have found it to be ok but not amazing accurate, locally here in south East London, UK it gets some roads local to us significantly wrong.

In other places its better, but there is normally a reasonable delay in it changing limits. Which is surprising because with the GPS data I wouldn't expect it to take that long.

Now I know this will improve over time with improved GPS data, however I thought it was meant to read the sign, we don't see a huge amount of evidence of that at the moment. I just wondered what others were finding?

I am sure V2 will be better, and V1 isn't bad its just not quite as good as we were expecting.

Don't get me wrong its a great concept and its still worth having because it does encourage you more to stay within the speed limit which is very important given the car is whisper quiet at speed and it works best with the HUD. In a funny kind of way because its not 100% accurate you pay even more attention to the speed limits so it does its job just not quite how we were expecting!

Also on a related note, most of other GPS systems these days highlight speed camera zones etc on the map. Audi (latest system) for example does anyone know is this possible on the BMW system?

Clearly the data is there because the speed limit display uses it! But is there anyway to get it to show on the map like you get on a Garmin for example? i.e so you can see the various speed limits before you drive into them? Perhaps as a poi?

Thanks
Paul
Appreciate 0