View Single Post
      04-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
M5 RAG
Private
Rep
Drives: SG + SO F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy23 View Post
I was at the same level as you. 600 to 800 miles to a litre of oil. I had the oil changed out and am running 10w60 race oil. Since the oil and filter change I have now covered 390 miles and there is no sign of oil consumption on the display.
Additionally my car was averaging 16.4mpg per day. In weird like that I reset it every morning. It is now sitting at 19.3 mpg per day. This is not the same every day as my routes differ but on average I am 2mpg better than before.

I will keep monitoring this and report back.
Thanks for the info, did BMW do the oil change for you or did you do that yourself, if its the latter you're a brave guy as I would imagine that oil is well out of spec?

I'm currently topping up on Castrol edge 0w30, I was curious if 0W40 might improve things and its still in spec.

Interestingly my economy is great, my overall average is low 20's but i can easily see 26 on a motorway run. My concerns are more long term but I've read a few other threads (one linked below) that suggest this 1 litre per thousand miles scenario is quite common on these cars.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702987
Appreciate 0