View Single Post
      02-15-2024, 10:26 PM   #30
GarrettYan6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specularius View Post
That sounds similar to an issue I had with my 2020 M50i. Taking off it made a sound like an electrical motor bushing growling and at approximately 40 mph it would just go silent. It wound up being the front differential pinion bearing. Took over 6 months to find and the dealer changed the transfer case first, then thought it was a turbo, then the pinion started leaking and the noise got very loud. May suggest that the dealer inspect the pinion bearing.
The exact same thing happened to my X7. I heard some noise and I took it to the dealer two weeks ago, and they suspected the issue was with the transfer case. However, before they could repair the transfer case, the noise became unbearably loud one day, and I had to tow the car back to the dealership, where we discovered oil leaking from underneath the car. Now, the dealer is fixing the front differential, which is covered by warranty. I'm not sure if they will replace the transfer case at the same time; from our conversation, it seems they want to replace the front differential first and only replace the transfer case if the noise persists. I am curious—has the noise ever returned after the repair in your case? Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0