View Single Post
      03-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I wonder if there's a safety mechanism in place where if someone is in the seat it won't actuate. All the seat movement is for maximizing space to get to the back easy, but you can still get back there relatively easy without the front seats moving.
For example, when I ran the test run, I don't remember the drivers seat moving - maybe b/c my wife was sitting in there? IDK - haven't run enough trial and error to know the ins and outs.
I'm thinking the BMW logic is this:
-- Is someone in front seat: Y or N
----> If Y, then don't move seat.
----> If N, then move seat.
I had a BMW Genius and a salesperson with me and together we sat in the front seats, seatbelts on, seatbelts off, no matter what combination we tried the front seat always moved when the third row was triggered.

The sole exception to this is if you are 4‘3“ tall and sit extremely close to the steering wheel in an upright position slightly more than vertical. Unless you are that body type, the first row seat is going to move and push you forward like this every time someone gets in the third row. It’s tolerable, it’s not like anyone is in danger, but dozens of times a week? It’s very annoying to sit there and be squished and it’s very inconvenient to get out of the car every time a third row passenger gets in/out.
Appreciate 0