Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyawesome View Post
Can someone explain what the difference is between the tuners that are offered by companies like Dinan, Turner, Burger vs. an actual software flash?? Is the difference "piggyback" vs "ECU reprogramming"? Does a piggyback tune just trick the ECU? Wouldn't an ECU flash always be preferred? I just traded my 2013 GL450 and I know Dinan offered a service where you could mail them the ECU, they flash it, mail it back to you and suddenly you have the GL63 engine... Is this possible with the F80's? Are the JB4 type tuners temporary solutions until an ECU flash is released? Lastly, what's all this business of "STAGE 1, 2, 3"?? Lots of newb questions- would appreciate a quick course on what all this stuff means. Thanks!!
Check the forums, NO one has been able to crack the car. Your best bet is a piddyback system, as the only people that are able to do an ECU Flash is BMW. An Yes, it tricks the ECU into adjusting systems to make more power, but the goal is to get a well known system that does it within a level of safety to the powertrain Dinan and JB4 have good records and both have pros and cons, price vs warranty and power ( I am sure there are other options as well). A Flash would be better, its a modifications from top to bottom taking in many systems into account as a complete picture vs tricking systems to make more power. But, at this point BMW isn't offering it.

Stage 1, 2, 3. Normally as additional parts come out, more adjustments can be made to make more power. IE: Upgrade Turbo, Cooling, Exhaust, Plumping. Most tuning can take this into account and make more adjustments for again more power as you upgrade things.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 10-07-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0