View Single Post
      12-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
You see threads like this, about paint coatings, on just about any car enthusiast forum. I would personally not do this, because I'm not as anal as some appear to be about their car's paint, and because I don't think you will get your money back at the time of resale. Perhaps there are some environments and some locations where I'm wrong about this, but in the main I am right.

I wash my cars regularly and when the sealant I apply starts to wear off (4-6 months, depending on the time of year and how much I use the car), then I re-apply it. I even clay my cars, in rare instances. The water beads right off my cars when I wash them. It costs very little to do this type of maintenance other than your time. I do garage my cars and because of the 4-season climate I live in, coupled with the fact that I have cars that don't get used at all for 4 months during the winter, I might only apply sealant to a given car twice a year.

When it comes time to sell your car, it is extremely unlikely that you will sell the car to someone who is so demanding about the exterior paint that a coated car will get your even $1 more. If you trade your car in to a dealer because you have better things to do with your time than deal with yahoos from Craigs List, you will absolutely not get back anything for these coatings.

So yes, if you are going to keep your car for 10 years and you are going to obsess about it to the point of not being able to drive it, then *maybe* this sort of thing is worth buying. Otherwise, I would take a huge pass on it and spend your good money on something else; might I suggest a nice bottle of red Burgundy for tonight's dinner?
If you want your money back buy a Vanguard fund.
Appreciate 0