02-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #33
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2018 Panamera 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
This has been interesting reading but would like to offer technical clarifications regarding ZDH option on the X7.

What's good is that everyone knows what's included in ZDH Dynamic Handling Package:

1. M Sport brakes (Std on M50i, 40i/50i included in PKG)
2. M Sport differential (Std on M50i, 50i included in PKG, 40i not available)
3. Integral Active Steering (IAS)
4. Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

What's also good is everyone has a great understanding of package items 1 to 3.

What's not clear is 4.

Specifically, is there anything beyond active dampening, 2-axle air and camera systems previewing the road and actively providing suspension adjustments?

There is a component of item 4 that is unfortunately not mentioned or called out that is included as part of Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview which is:

Electronic active roll stabilization (EARSVV front and EARSVH rear)

From BMW on X7:
The Active Comfort Drive with road preview works with the two-axle air suspension and an active roll-stabilization system to not only improve agility and directional stability when turning into corners but to also optimize traction when accelerating out of them too.

The system uses camera sensors to preview the road ahead of the vehicle and proactively make suspension adjustments to not only tighten up suspension settings for upcoming turns but to also increase straight-line comfort by actively countering oscillations triggered by road surface imperfections.

On the X7 when optioned with ZDH, Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview includes electronic active roll stabilization, just like the G12 7 Series. It also works exactly like the 7 Series. I've enclosed the Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview technical schematic for Bimmer tech geeks.

Active Comfort Drive has the following additional
components:

• Wheel acceleration sensors on all 4 wheel carriers
Electric active stabilizers on the front and rear axles
• An additional 12 V battery as well as a DC/DC converter
• A stereo camera in the windscreen

Wheel acceleration sensors are used in Active Comfort Drive for the following reasons:

• More precise disturbance variable control of the electric active stabilizers (EARSV) possible.
Avoidance of so-called copying from one wheel to the other in the event of road bumps.
• Precise regulation of the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) is possible through detection
of the wheel movement via the wheel acceleration sensors and the body movement via the
ride height sensors.

Car & Driver very briefly mentions ZDH:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...v-first-drive/

"For the paved parts of the world sure to be the X7's domain, the ute is available with the Dynamic Handling package. It adds larger brakes, rear-wheel steering, active anti-roll bars, and, on V-8 models, the electronically controlled rear differential."

And Bimmercat documenting Stabilizer/Dynamic Drive:

Front
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX/USA/31_1587

Rear
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX/USA/33_2336

TLDR;
All X7s come standard with active suspension components:

1. Dynamic Damper Control
2. 2-axle Air Suspension

Driving Experience Control switches on the center console - Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus - effect the Dynamic Damper Control. All G05/7 air suspension struts are equipped with D/EDC with expansion stage high and features continuous damper control which adapts to road conditions.

X7s when optioned with ZDH includes active roll stabilization. X7s with ZDH are going to provide flatter handling response than one without.
This is awesome, thank you. Quick question for you. Do you have photos up of your exterior/interior color combination X5?
Appreciate 0