View Single Post
      08-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #87
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan0102 View Post
Yeah you're right- It's not my car. I'm 17 and I don't make a six figure income obviously. I say "ours" when I refer to it because its my families. I get to drive it by myself and drive it on a daily basis- So who cares? We all switch around cars. I paid half for "my" C. Which gets driven by my mom or dad just as much as I drive their cars. And I've been fortunate enough to drive some sick cars, and I'm thankful for that.
No problem.

My only issue is that people need to be up front about it. Instead of pretending they have a stable of nice cars when in fact, they own none of them. And don't have to pay for the maintenance, insurance, etc..

Driving someone else's car is more like renting or test driving on a daily basis. It's not the same as owning it. The experience is different. And one can't really become completely knowledgeable about a specific car without the whole package.

It's misleading, that's all:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan0102
If it wasn't leased I'd just get brembos for a bit more.
fyi, tell your Dad that the E63 MB brakes are made by Brembo. They are expensive no matter what. (remember, the E63 has two piece floating 360mm front rings.)

Buying the friction rings alone from Brembo is actually less expensive because you really don't have to buy the aluminum hat assembly with it (it's one whole kit from the stealer.) Use the old one and get a hat install kit instead. You can source the rings from anybody (besides Brembo) as long as the size is identical. For OEM, go here instead of the stealer: http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/...6&pageid=10852

Good brakes (and they are great brakes) are never cheap. He needs to go to an Indy and get the pads done. Leased or not. The rotors are probably okay (stealers like to replace them.) But understand that the cost of machine turning the friction rings is prohibitive because they are drilled and cross slotted. So, it's really cheaper just to get new rotors.

If they are toast this early, somebody has been hard on them or you do a lot of aggressive stop and go driving. (Oxidation adds to it, too. And you said the car is '07)
Appreciate 0