View Single Post
      01-13-2024, 12:41 PM   #97
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
As for Model S price drop, in fact, they never dropped, but they peaked to 120K for the Plaid and +100K for Model S during COVID only and those who bought it in 2021 should have known better. It's now back to normal as it was prior to 2020 or lower (Model S was 70+74 in 2020 pre-covid) and it's almost similar for the base model. Name a single brand that maintained now it's pricing to pre-COVID prices? Almost none except a few, certainly now the ones we typically drive. Pricing strategy of Tesla is all based on small margins and balancing demand vs supply. Their margins are too low now and that's the right time to buy. I hope they never peak again, as this would mean there is a global issue again. When prices has peaked at that time, most other brands were NOT selling new cars and the wait was 1 year, and when they do sell a car, they sell it for 20K above MSRP. in 2021 I was shopping for the new Escalade, almost all dealers where asking 15K over MSRP. That's the same exact way as price increased but in a nastier way. Tesla does NOT play the dealers game, they sell direct, and they simply increased their prices to be profitable during supply issues, so that was not an isolated issue, and again in my view it is not a price reduction, it was a price increase that now is gone and back to normal.
Uh no, peak was not $120k, peak was $135k. The difference here is when the dealers mark up from MSRP at least I would know that and would just not buy it. When a manufacturer puts out a MSRP I would have no idea they would drop the price $40k because they never insinuated it was over an above MSRP. Had I known that I wouldn’t have bought it. So no it isn’t remotely the same. A manufacturer hardly ever drops MSRP like that. Viper did it once and compensated owners for it and Audi just followed Tesla and dropped the MSRP of the Etron GT.

Tesla just doesn’t care because they are selling a ton of cars so why do they care if they turn off current owners and turning on prospective new owners. From a business perspective I get it.
Appreciate 0