05-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #59
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krown View Post
I too am thinking about getting an E63S next year when my lease is up. I prefer the AWD since my car is my daily and I need a car that can get around the snow and slush in winter.

That being said, is it just me or do the wheels look too small compared to the body of the car? The M5 is well proportioned. E63 not so much.

Plus the COMAND system is brutal. That alone is turning me off
I owned both cars (2014 E63s, 2014 M5 CP), got rid of the E63, and from the point of view of someone who drives it on the street and doesn't track the car, the standard pros and cons you hear about are accurate:

E63s pros:
- MUCH more useable power in city driving due to AWD. Makes the car feel much faster around town. You can always use the power. From 0-80 nothing is going to touch you.

E63s cons:
- transmission is terrible. The latency between pulling the upshift paddle until the transmission actually shifting seems like forever.
- COMAND system is very bad. Poor UI design, hard to figure out, small screen, more limited function.
- car looks a little dorky

M5 pros:
- totally awesome DCT transmission, one of the car's best features
- my singapore grey car is just a beautiful car
- BMW electronics are better and more user-friendly than AMG, at least in 2014.

M5 cons:
- very hard to get all 575 ponies pulling around town. Under full throttle, the traction control light is often flashing and power is reduced. Full throttle in first gear, without traction control intervening, doesn't seem possible except under dragstrip-like conditions. Even second gear often has reduced power.

Apart from the power issues, the M5 rules the day in my opinion.
Appreciate 0