View Single Post
      02-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #17
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
The correct offset for 17's is 47mm. Don't know where the 34 comes from.
I seriously don't think going to 18's is going to solve your problem.
I think your suspension is OK however if you're getting undulations then yes something is wrong.
Can you not get another BMW guy to ride along with you to confirm details before you go out and spend a lot of money and maybe be no further ahead?
When I say I'm getting undulations....I mean when I drive along an undulating road it sets up a sort of resonance where the front of the car goes through one dip then perfectly catches the next one and something rubs. Not sure what, underside of bumper, the winglets under the bumper, the fenders - no idea.
The underside of the bumper is pretty badly scraped up but that's probably normal for a 9 year old car. I don't think the 18's will fix my problem...I know they won't. I'm just wondering if the suspension just has too much slop in it now and needs firming up. I want to lower it but I also have speed bumps where I live. If I drive over them rather than just creeping over them something slams down hard on them - pretty sure it's the plastic jack point adapters as they only just clear the speed bump if I crawl over. That tells me that I can't lower the car either or it will just tear them out and damage something else. The undertray only just clears as well....don't need to slam down on that.
I guess my answer is stock height with firmer dampers. Just looking for some advice that will confirm this. Just seems odd to me that these cars are so low in stock form that they scrape speed bumps.

The 34 offset was for some aftermarket rims with snows on them which I bought from a Z4 owner. I checked in the forum to see if they would rub and was assured they wouldn't. Once I put them on I noticed the rubbing during the undulating roads. Maybe it was there before on the OEM 17's but I don't think so.....leaving me to believe that the offset was causing the rubbing so it has to be rubbing the fenders.
Appreciate 0