SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Yeah, this is why I'm leaving the Merc tribe and joining the one where we don't have to signal for lane changes.

On a serious note, how does the BMW recorder compare to this high-end set-up?
Actually, I’ve found that the Beemer shakes the steering a little on a merge lane if I don’t signal, even with lane departure deactivated, but with active cruise activated. Clever huh?

The BMW Drive Recorder uses the front, back and side cameras and will be really useful in the event of a side impact, but it is inactive when parked.
Therefore, the main reason for me is that I’ve put in the dashcams to ensure recording continues while parked and unattended.
They also record visual events on the road, resulting in no impact, that the Drive Recorder would not pick up, ie near misses, dickheads, etc. They also record GPS speed so that you could supply this info in the event of a contested speeding event. A further reason is to see what happens to the car during servicing at the dealer - providing the bastards don’t pull the power lead out, as has happened in the past.

To me the drive recorder is my secondary set of cameras to the primary dashcams.